If you struggle with a shady garden, you know how difficult it can be to find colourful, flowering plants to brighten up the darker spots. But while your options may be limited, you do have some! These are our favourite flowers for shady gardens.
• Calla lilies – add a tropical twist to your garden and have a substantial supporting base
• Hellebores – late-winter and early-spring blooming flowers that come in a variety of colours and shapes
• Begonias – lots of options for bright flowers that resemble roses
• Fuschia – a popular choice for hanging planters as their stems tend to grow long and hang over the edge of planters
• Impatiens – good border plants with small, colourful flowers that bloom from spring to fall
• Creeping myrtle – evergreen ground cover with purple flowers; a good space-filler!
Are you new to gardening? Try some of our beginner gardening tips, from Dirt Cheap in Kitchener!